Opt-In or Opt-Out to Transportation
The NSTS secure parent portal is open with preliminary transportation arrangements for all students eligible to receive service.
Parents/guardians/students must notify NSTS that they intend to use transportation for the 2021-22 school year in order to receive service. Students that Opted-In in the 2020-21 school year are automatically Opted-In for the 2021-22 school year.
Please sign-in to the parent portal and complete the Opt-In or Opt-Out of Transportation Form. We will also receive your Opt-In or Opt-Out intention over the phone, 905-357-6787, or via email, email@example.com.
If we do not receive this notification specific to a student, NSTS will work with bus drivers and schools, and we will remove transportation in September if a child is not using the service assigned.
We understand parents will make the final decision of whether they decide to opt-in or opt-out of using the school bus. To recognize families may change their mind or have their circumstances change where they may decide to change their opt-in or opt-out status, we have created a weekly process to accommodate changes using a form available in the parent portal.
Authorized Riders Only
Only riders authorized by NSTS are allowed to ride the bus. Bus drivers are authorized to transport only students listed by NSTS on the passenger manifest and seating plan to ride their bus.
Each Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. transportation arrangements for the following week will be available in the portal. If arrangements are not listed in the parent portal on the Wednesday, please make arrangements to get your child(ren) to and from school for the following week.
Process and Expectations for Changing Addresses or New Registrations
For address changes and registration, please contact your child’s school when it reopens. Important deadlines for the first two weeks of school:
- WEEK 1: The deadline to make address changes at the school and to notify NSTS of your intention to use the service is 3:00 p.m. on Monday, August 30. For changes made by this deadline, every effort will be made by the school and NSTS to have transportation effective the first week of school.
- WEEK 2: The deadline to make address changes at the school and to notify NSTS of your intention to use the service is 3:00 p.m. on Friday, September 3. For changes made by this deadline, every effort will be made by the school and NSTS to have transportation effective the second week of school.
In the event that schools and NSTS experience a high volume of change requests and are not able to process all requests, parents/guardians may be required to make plans to get their child(ren) to and from school for the first two weeks of school.
Timelines to Make Changes During the School Year
This year it will take 7 to 10 days to make a change to your child's transportation. Changes will be effective each Monday and will remain consistent for the entire week.
All information received by NSTS by 3:00 p.m. each Monday, whether it is an address change for pick-up and/or drop-off information we receive through the school, or your circumstances change and you decide to opt-in to receive service through the form in the parent portal, transportation arrangements will be updated in the parent portal each Wednesday morning by 10:00 a.m. for routes effective for the following week.
NSTS is not authorized to change addresses. Address changes must be made through your school and NSTS automatically downloads these updates from the school daily.
If you require to change your child(ren)’s pick-up or drop-off address, or to register your child(ren) to a new school, please make arrangements to get your child(ren) to and from school for the first, and potentially the second, week of school. Student transportation during COVID-19 requires NSTS to take additional safety measures to comply with public health requirements and we appreciate parents/guardians having a plan for the first two week in the event the school and NSTS are not able to process all changes to start the school year.
Please note that NSTS will not accept requests for bus stop location changes or exceptions to the eligibility policy until October 1, 2021, at the earliest to permit time to ensure all eligible students who Opt-In to the bus are assigned to the bus and seating plan.
Kindergarten Transportation and First Ride
Kindergarten families, or families without an Ontario Education Number (OEN), will not be able to log-in to the NSTS parent portal. We emailed and/or mailed letters with temporary PIN numbers for those families to use as the OEN to sign-in to the parent portal. If you do not receive this communication by Friday, August 20, please call or email NSTS. After completing authentication questions to verify the caller's identity to match our student record, we will supply your PIN over the phone or via email.
Reviewing basic school bus safety rules is also critical, particularly for first time riders. First Ride will be online this year! Safety information and videos are available in the Bus Zone of this website.
NSTS is here to support your family have a good start to the school year. We appreciate your patience while we process a large volume of changes and family outreach.
If you need to contact NSTS, we request that you select one of the following ways:
- Sign-in to the parent portal and view the transportation arrangements made for your child(ren) is the best place to start. There are tools in the portal, including forms, that are a great tool if you require help from NSTS. The forms in the portal generate a reference number.
- To reach NSTS by telephone, call 905-357-6787. NSTS has help remote from our office this year. If they are not able to answer your question, they will generate a form to NSTS which is assigned a reference number. Please note these phone calls are recorded for quality assurance purposes.
- You may email firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a great way to correspond with NSTS and reduces playing phone tag.
- When schools re-open, they too can support your questions. Schools are the first point of contact if you have concerns.
We strive to provide a 24-hour response time to phone calls in non-emergency situations. During back to school when volume is very-high, we make every effort to respond within 48-hours to non-emergency situations.
NSTS will not accept requests for bus stop location changes or exceptions to the eligibility policy until October 1, 2021, at the earliest.